Skip to content

Financial Aid and Scholarships

Studying abroad requires commitment, perseverance, and careful planning, especially with respect to finances. If you are currently receiving financial aid for your college education, in many cases you can use it to study abroad. If you are uncertain, we recommend that you speak to your financial aid counselor about what can and cannot be applied to study abroad.  We offer the following information regarding program costs, financial aid and scholarship funding as an aid to all current and prospective study abroad students in planning and financing their international experience.

Please note that a student’s enrollment in a program of study abroad approved for credit by Hofstra University may be considered enrollment at Hofstra for the purpose of applying for assistance under Title IV, HEA federal financial aid programs.

cost information for hofstra programs

All Hofstra short-term and semester programs have two costs:

(1) Program cost which includes roundtrip airfare, transfers, housing accommodations, meals, excursions, medical/accident insurance and

(2) Standard Hofstra University tuition/fees for either three or six credits.

Since short-term programs take place in the January and summer sessions institutional funding typucally does not apply, as institutional funds are awarded as fall/spring awards.  Generally loans are the only financial aid available for short-term programs.  All students are required to contact Student Financial Services for a consultation on financial aid prior to trip registration.

Hofstra University semester-length programs
Hofstra University charges students a program cost and standard Hofstra University tuition/fees for the designated number of credits.  Financial aid is available, including institutional funding you have already been awarded. All students are required to contact Student Financial Services for a consultation on financial aid prior to trip registration.

Non-Hofstra University semester-length programs
To allow for the application of financial aid to private provider/non-Hofstra program, Hofstra University applies the cost of the private provider/non-Hofstra program to the student's account which generally includes tuition/fees, room and board and other miscellaneous fees. In addition to the cost of the private provider/non-Hofstra program, Hofstra University charges an Administrative Fee that covers the costs associated with administering study abroad programs, including advisement, study abroad registration, study abroad transfer credit, foreign transcript evaluation, and other related administrative costs of operating various study abroad programs for our students. Note: If a student is already an institutional award recipient and registered full-time, that award may be applicable up to the tuition-only cost of the private provider/non-Hofstra program program. All students are required to contact Student Financial Services for a consultation on financial aid prior to trip registration.

hofstra scholarships
Thomas Hetzel Endowed Memorial Award in German Studies
This award is given to a deserving student studying abroad in Germany through a Hofstra-sponsored program or other accredited American university program ap­proved by the Director of the German Program. The recipient will be selected based on the following criteria: (1) GPA in German courses, (2) cumulative Hofstra GPA, (3) potential for success in the field of German Studies (4) demonstrated financial need, or (5) demonstrated commit­ment to public service. If for any academic year, no student elects to study abroad, the award will be presented as a tuition scholarship to the most outstanding student selected from the following pool of candidates – German majors, German minors, and students taking German classes based on the same criteria as stated above. The award will be granted upon the recommendation of the Director of the German Program in con­sultation with the Chairperson of the Comparative Literature and Lan­guages Department. 

EAB Endowed Scholarship
Financial award for costs related to study abroad at Erasmus University or any other study abroad program in the Netherlands. Awarded by the Dean of the Frank G. Zarb School of Business to one or more students each year. 

Donald Tattenbaum Scholarship
Financial award for costs related to study abroad at Erasmus University. If there are no Hofstra students interested in studying at Erasmus, the scholarship may be awarded to Frank G. Zarb School of Business students participating in any study abroad on the basis of achievement and need. 

Mark L. Bibi ‘80 Endowed Scholarship for Study Abroad
Financial award for one student applying to a Hofstra University Study Abroad Program who has properly completed and submitted a scholarship application and supporting documents that show financial need and academic merit.  This application is to include a personal essay and letter of recommendation.  The scholarship application is submitted by the usual study abroad application deadline (early November for January programs, early March for summer programs.)  

HCLAS Transformative Learning Grant
HCLAS Transformative Learning Grants can be used to help defray costs associated with Study Abroad. Students should review the associated website

private provider program scholarships
Independent study abroad providers such as the American Insititue of Foreign Study (AIFS), Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE), Semester at Sea, etc. offer need and merit scholarships for their own sponsored programs. 

outside scholarships
The Gilman International Scholarship Program
The Gilman International Scholarship program offers study abroad scholarships of up to $8,000 for U.S. undergraduate students receiving the Federal Pell Grant.  Scholarships available for Fall, Spring, or Academic year. 

DAAD – German Academic Exchange Service
The German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) offers funding for students, faculty, researchers and others in higher education to go to and from Germany.  

Gilman-McCain Scholarship
We are pleased to announce that the Gilman-McCain Scholarship Application is now open and we are accepting applications on a rolling basis. The U.S. Department of State’s Gilman-McCain Scholarship provides awards of $5,000 for undergraduate child dependents of active duty service members to study or intern abroad on credit-bearing programs. Developed under the framework of the Gilman Program, this scholarship is open to eligible students enrolled at accredited U.S. colleges and universities who receive any type of Title IV federal financial aid.

Boren Scholarships and Fellowships
Boren Scholarships and Fellowships provide opportunities for U.S. undergraduate and graduate students to become more proficient in the cultures and languages of world regions critical to U.S. interests, including Africa, Asia, Central and Eastern Europe, Eurasia, Latin America, and the Middle East.  Maximum awards are $20,000 for the Boren Scholarship and $30,000 for the Boren Fellowships.  In exchange for funding, recipients commit to working in the federal government for a minimum of one year.